ABDICK 9985/Ryobi 3302 crazy blanket scum

Hello All,

In a bit of a bind here. I have a print job that is due in 3 weeks and I need to get my press printing accurately. I have just gotten an ABDick 9985 (Ryobi 3302). It doesn't have many impressions on it, but it was set up to print very thick envelopes when it arrived. There was about 1/8" felt packing behind the plate, with plate setting to the max (0.30), There was also a sheet of 30lb paper behind the blanket for packing. Man, this thing was dialed way out of spec. I've spent the past 3 weeks of whatever spare time I've had dialing this press back to factory setting so I don't use the packing at all anymore. But, I still need help on finding an exact solution.

The 2 Problems:
Problem 1... my plate & blanket get 2 lines of ink that go entirely around their cylinders on the non-op edge of the cylinder and halfway between the op-side & the middle of the cylinders.
I am able to start the machine, run it in the water setting for as long as I want and the plate looks amazing. But, when I switch it to ink (with form rollers in night-latch -or- non-night-latched) my blanket begins to get scummed FIRST then it carries over onto my plate & ruins the plate.
---I can adjust the fountain solution being fed and the ink dissipates, but now I have a huge buildup of ink on the edges of my blanket and my paper gets damp if I try to feed it through the press. It almost seems like ink form roller 3 makes contact with the blanket accidentally.
Problem 2... It almost seems like all the ink from the blanket does not transfer to the paper. The blanket clearly receives the image from the plate but (looking at attached image) the image does not fully transfer from the blanket to paper despite being set to 0mm on the impression setting.

My setup & what I've tried:
Crestline Altra Series dialed-in to correct pressures
Varn Super-Lene Fountain Solution (Diluted) [Thinking about switching to GenieJet Affinity; this could be a big part of possible problem too?]
GenieJet Inket Plates 0.175 thickness (Heated through conveyor dryer to 320F for curing)
Ryobi 5ply blanket at 2.5mm thickness (compressible)
All form lines on the plate are 3.5mm, except water form 4mm to spec
Had to open the side panel and adjust the blanket to impression pressure in order to print on 24lb paper. as compared to the thick envelopes; was this wrong?

My questions:
How do I adjust the pressure between ink form roller number 3 and the oscillator roller on the back?
How thick should the paper be that runs through the press?
Do I need to change my fountain solution?

Here is my best current print; you can see the scum remanence on the left side of the print. In addition, it seems like I'm still not getting enough pressure between my blanket and impression despite being at 0mm thickness and with the side panel pressure bolt maxed out.

Please Help :)

Attachments

• IMG_8074.jpg
    IMG_8074.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 46
Do you have a manual for this press? Some of the answers to the questions you’re asking here can be found in it.

My questions:
How do I adjust the pressure between ink form roller number 3 and the oscillator roller on the back?
How thick should the paper be that runs through the press?
Do I need to change my fountain solution?

Here is my best current print; you can see the scum remanence on the left side of the print. In addition, it seems like I'm still not getting enough pressure between my blanket and impression despite being at 0mm thickness and with the side panel pressure bolt maxed out.

Please Help :)
3302's and all variants are known to be very sensitive to roller diameter.
You will NOT be able to achieve good stripes or pressures when the rollers shrink below specification which happens every couple of years.
So buy a couple of sets of rollers if you haven't. Not cheap but probably necessary. We always kept a spare set on hand.
Then take your time and learn how to set the pressures correctly according to the manual.
You'll be glad you did.
YMMV

My questions:
Here's a scan of what the service manual has. It's that small screw close to the adjustment for the pressure to the plate. I do have the rest of the service manual (for ryobi 3302M) if needed. I've found the same thing as chriscozi mentioned, it's very sensitive to having the correct pressure and good rollers.

Attachments

• 05012024080327-0001.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
3302's and all variants are known to be very sensitive to roller diameter.
You will NOT be able to achieve good stripes or pressures when the rollers shrink below specification which happens every couple of years.
So buy a couple of sets of rollers if you haven't. Not cheap but probably necessary. We always kept a spare set on hand.
Then take your time and learn how to set the pressures correctly according to the manual.
You'll be glad you did.
YMMV
I will purchase a new set of rollers. Out of curiosity, would the process for replacing the rollers be found in a service manual?

Thank you so much.

Here's a scan of what the service manual has. It's that small screw close to the adjustment for the pressure to the plate. I do have the rest of the service manual (for ryobi 3302M) if needed. I've found the same thing as chriscozi mentioned, it's very sensitive to having the correct pressure and good rollers.
Hey ID13,

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you so much! If at all possible, would you be willing to scan the service manual, all I have is the operation manual.

Thank you again so much!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back