FUJI ZX PLATES

We changed to the FUJI ZX plates recently and while the plates do cleanup on press we are having issues with some areas of the plate not cleaning up.
Areas 3" away from each other tone up with ink as the emulsion does not remove even after flooding the plate with water, once inked up and it tones on that specific area that's it, press man needs a new plate.
Always loved Fuju PH plates but this change in our press room is really causing problems with more and more plate remakes.
Seems like some boxes of ZX plates work great then the next box of plates don't, very inconsistent.

As I work in prepress I like them as I don't have to deal with a processor anymore and my plate output speed has increased 10%.
I've heard mixed results from various companies with some saying they like them, others not so much.

Curious what other shops are seeing when running the ZX plates?

We changed to the FUJI ZX plates recently and while the plates do cleanup on press we are having issues with some areas of the plate not cleaning up.
Areas 3" away from each other tone up with ink as the emulsion does not remove even after flooding the plate with water, once inked up and it tones on that specific area that's it, press man needs a new plate.
Always loved Fuju PH plates but this change in our press room is really causing problems with more and more plate remakes.
Seems like some boxes of ZX plates work great then the next box of plates don't, very inconsistent.

As I work in prepress I like them as I don't have to deal with a processor anymore and my plate output speed has increased 10%.
I've heard mixed results from various companies with some saying they like them, others not so much.

Curious what other shops are seeing when running the ZX plates?
Hello ...FUJI ZX Superia plates have been performing excellent for us....Heidelberg SM 74-5 Colour......No issues at all....Dampening system must be cleaned & ink rollers deglazed regularly....weekly if running two shifts per day....it is normal for the first 20-50 sheets to be toned completely in when doing first pull....this is how the plate is developed & cleaned up on press......the only reason for a non image area to be taking ink is if the plate was exposed to light for some time, prior to being hung on press, or improper roller settings......these plates work so good they can be left sit on press overnight without being gummed.....they will clean right up in am without being touched...hard to believe but true.....only have had to remake about 4 plates out of 10,000 due to being damaged when handled....you can also contact FuJI & try using a Fountain Solution they recommend for your press...they know what works best for your application.....good luck

Hello ...FUJI ZX Superia plates have been performing excellent for us....Heidelberg SM 74-5 Colour......No issues at all....Dampening system must be cleaned & ink rollers deglazed regularly....weekly if running two shifts per day....it is normal for the first 20-50 sheets to be toned completely in when doing first pull....this is how the plate is developed & cleaned up on press......the only reason for a non image area to be taking ink is if the plate was exposed to light for some time, prior to being hung on press, or improper roller settings......these plates work so good they can be left sit on press overnight without being gummed.....they will clean right up in am without being touched...hard to believe but true.....only have had to remake about 4 plates out of 10,000 due to being damaged when handled....you can also contact FuJI & try using a Fountain Solution they recommend for your press...they know what works best for your application.....good luck
GRex, thanks for the comment. Things have settled down now that we no longer getting July 2024 plate lots, lots are now December 2024 and plates have been much more consistent. The pressman has now seemed to find the sweet spot with dampening system on our older 6C Heidelberg and he is also in the 20-50 sheet clean out range. Curious how many impressions you have been seeing on your press runs? Looking for some kind of clean out unit for small format Jet presses running patch blankets, operator has been cleaning the plate before hanging but kind of a PIA for him. Regards.

GRex, thanks for the comment. Things have settled down now that we no longer getting July 2024 plate lots, lots are now December 2024 and plates have been much more consistent. The pressman has now seemed to find the sweet spot with dampening system on our older 6C Heidelberg and he is also in the 20-50 sheet clean out range. Curious how many impressions you have been seeing on your press runs? Looking for some kind of clean out unit for small format Jet presses running patch blankets, operator has been cleaning the plate before hanging but kind of a PIA for him. Regards.
Hello....plates are supposed to be good up to 200,000 impressions sheetfed...as for all plates, I have found the major cause of plate wear is too much friction from improper roller settings or improper packing....we have only tested plates up to our max run of 100,000....no problem at all....I do not understand "clean out unit".......I did read that on some presses it may be required to hand dampen the plates with fountain solution prior to dropping rollers.....My understanding is that it is simply a chemical process...>>>>water plus ink develops plate...(some presses allow setting # of revolutions for both dampening & inking prior to Impression, when using Auto Production Features)....or simply ,manually control revolutions for both pre dampening/inking....most important is to allow the plates to clean up via start up sheets...not like old plates where you can watch how each plate/unit cleans up prior to impression...Pressman are regularly commenting that these are by far, the best plates they have ever used in their lengthy careers...& the beauty of process free plate making......good luck mate

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back