NCR Job Time Versant 280

NorwoodPress

So I've got a 3 part ncr that is black & white, double sided and is numbered. I get 2 up on a sheet as it's A4 on SRA3 sheet. I'm pulling from tray 5 for white top sheet, tray 6 yellow middle sheet and tray 7 pink bottom sheet. So there would be 1,875 sheets per each coloured sheet. Totalling 5,625 sheets. The fiery estimates around 2 hours for this. When I run the job it seems to run slower than when I do a normal ncr. All the ncr paper is set the same in the media library, same fuser temp, paper weight etc. I have ran a 2 part ncr before double sided and it flys through. Not sure why its taking so long to print.

I dunno if the Xerox has the same setting, but on our Konica's, we have a setting for 'speed priority' on mixed media jobs. Even though your paper settings are the same, it's still coming from separate drawers.

On another note, why are you running the job from uncollated sheets of NCR? We run 2-sided NCR jobs all the time and we buy it pre-collated. We use the straight sequence sets for 2-sided jobs. We even have our KM's do the numbering of the NCR's running 2up while it's printing.

I agree with @jwheeler

We only run NCR out of separate trays if we're doing something wonky like using 110# CB White as one of our mixed medias...if it's something standard like 2pt, 3pt, 4pt, etc...we just buy and use the precollated stuff. I'm guessing since it's double sided you maybe had issues with the output being on the wrong sides and the NCR not NCR'ing correctly...if that's the case I'd keep on trying your print settings. We had no problems running duplex 3pt NCR so long as we used 3pt straight (instead of reverse) and selected the correct N-1/FaceUp output settings. If we were out of 3pt straight, we'd just hand collate the reverse back into straight (for small runs).

Hell, most of the time my operators just lie to the machine and say that the tray full of 3pt NCR is just plain old 20# white paper. Never really had an issue (though I don't recommend that...just introduces another variable to trip you up).

I only use pre-collated NCR so I don’t have experience with this issue. I do run sheets back through for some booklet work and I don’t have a delay between trays 6 & 7. I set both trays for the same stock weight like you’re doing, no matter what they are and don’t have any delay.

I run 3 part pre-collated reverse duplex through the machine trays 1, 2, or 3. Set as face up reverse with pink on top and the sets will come out in the correct order. I only use one tray when doing 3 part NCR because if the tray switches before the tray is empty the output order is messed up. Duplexing 3 part pre-collated reverse from trays 6 or 7 won’t work.

You could look at a few options to see if it makes a difference in switching between trays.

Under System Settings > Paper Tray Settings > Auto Tray Settings Control, see if changing any of the settings makes a difference.

You can optimize for speed instead of quality to see if that helps. Under Tools > System Settings > Common Services > Maintenance, go down to the page where you see Productivity Settings and change to Optimize for Speed.

I dunno if the Xerox has the same setting, but on our Konica's, we have a setting for 'speed priority' on mixed media jobs. Even though your paper settings are the same, it's still coming from separate drawers.

On another note, why are you running the job from uncollated sheets of NCR? We run 2-sided NCR jobs all the time and we buy it pre-collated. We use the straight sequence sets for 2-sided jobs. We even have our KM's do the numbering of the NCR's running 2up while it's printing.

I don't buy in pre-collated sheets, because I've never liked the idea if you get a jam. Plus as we do a lot of ncr pads, using various coloured sheets, it's cheaper for us to buy in SRA3, compared to pre-collated (especially here in the UK).

I don't buy in pre-collated sheets, because I've never liked the idea if you get a jam. Plus as we do a lot of ncr pads, using various coloured sheets, it's cheaper for us to buy in SRA3, compared to pre-collated (especially here in the UK).
Getting a jam with precollated sheets is the same as getting a jam with individual sheets. Your machine still knows you're printing ordered sets and has to eject each part of that set and start over anew. It's the exact same amount of wastage.

However, I would buy individual sheets and do what you're doing if I was getting a discount as well.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back