Single Color printing on Konica (counting as full color!!!!)

Millencolin

I have a Konica 1060 with a service contract.
Today I noticed that when printing single color (cyan, magenta or yellow) it was counting as a full color click.
We pay by the click here, service is included.

I have contacted Konica localy and they say that it's not possible to count single color click. I believe that this is really unbelievable since we bought a professional printer and in professional work single color printing is a common scenario.

Anyone has this problem?

cheers

I'm pretty sure all of the companies do this (except maybe Indigos). They charge a B+W click for B+W only, but any other color is a full color click.
We've had KM's, Canon's and Xerox and they all charge a color click.

Single color typically refers to "black only" when speaking digital output. Anything other than black counts as a color click. And even if it looks black, check the meter before printing to be sure. If crop marks are registration black it will count as a color click. Even black as the wrong color profile can count as a color click. I check the machine meter- black count every time to make sure.

Never heard of any digital machine getting a single click charge for 1 of the 4 colours. From everything I have seen it is either full colour CMYK or 1 colour K. Sending a job 100% cyan and 0%MYK still gives a colour charge.

Digital Printers are "4-CP" (4 color "process") NOT single PMS colors like a typical offset press. I believe HP Indigo is the only digital press that I know of that has the ability to charge for 1-color, 2-color, etc. As Erik stated, on most digital presses "1-Color" refers to a B & W click only. I've had customers who are printing a B & W letter, but, they want some of the text in red for emphasis. I let them know, "Sure, that's no problem, as long as you know that one red word will switch your piece to a full 4-color process job. The click charge difference is significant (for us, a difference of $0.015 to $0.05 or, about 3 1/2 cents more per page).

When we looked at HP, they marketed the Indigo as being able to only charge per actual color that went down. So if you have 100% Y going down on a sheet, then you only have to pay for 1 "color click". But like everyone else said, HP is the only company to do this. Any time someone has something that is spot color, we just quote it as full color on our digital equipment. Most of the time no one even notices.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back