Using the New AI Image Generator "Text to Image" in Adobe InDesign

Mike the Print Man

Just did a video on the new feature in InDesign called "Text to Image". Basically allows you to search for stock images to use in your design, directly from within InDesign.

Just to be clear - these are not royalty free stock images that are called up by the text prompt. They are images created by AI that did not exist before one writes the descriptive prompt to generate them. Adobe's AI, like other AI generative apps is using images that are stored by its customers on Adobe's servers as reference seeds to create the artificial images.
The fact that Adobe is using and profiting from its customer's photos to generate the synthetic images is causing a big controversy among photographers who are not benefiting financially from this use of their images.

Last edited:
Just to be clear - these are not royalty free stock images that are called up by the text prompt. They are images created by AI that did not exist before one writes the descriptive prompt to generate them. Adobe's AI, like other AI generative apps is using images that are stored by its customers on Adobe's servers as reference seeds to create the artificial images.
The fact that Adobe is using and profiting from its customer's photos to generate the synthetic images is causing a big controversy among photographers who are not benefiting financially from this use of their images.
I agree and anticipate this feature to not be around long in its current form.

I agree and anticipate this feature to not be around long in its current form.
Adobe has stated that images produced in this way can be used for commercial purposes, and will compensate the user in the unlikely event that any copyright infringement claims occur.

Adobe states that 'In general, you may use outputs from generative AI features commercially. However, if Adobe designates in the product or elsewhere that a beta version of a generative AI feature cannot be used commercially, then the generated outputs from that beta feature are for personal use only and cannot be used commercially.' ( Adobe Generative AI User Guidelines )

BTW Adobe hides data within the AI generated images that identify how the image was created.

Adobe has stated that images produced in this way can be used for commercial purposes, and will compensate the user in the unlikely event that any copyright infringement claims occur.

Adobe states that 'In general, you may use outputs from generative AI features commercially. However, if Adobe designates in the product or elsewhere that a beta version of a generative AI feature cannot be used commercially, then the generated outputs from that beta feature are for personal use only and cannot be used commercially.' ( Adobe Generative AI User Guidelines )

BTW Adobe hides data within the AI generated images that identify how the image was created.
Data availability will change once people are more easily able to track the inclusion of their assets within these training sets, and be compensated for them appropriately. Or, viewed from another way, data will only be released and processed within a data set, once a company like OpenAI can provide a proof articulating their right to use said asset. I'm actually quite interested in this subject and spend a lot of my non-work time thinking about this.

I'm not trying to be sour, sorry if I came off that way.

These types of systems are only just "now" coming into fruition. Imagine Adobe Stock met Uber, DoorDash or Etsy, but it's a protocol, not a managed product. Anyone in the world can interact with it.

I know it's still in Beta testing mode, so I'm sure there are going to be some tweaks to it. Like @gordo said, I don't it's right if the photographers aren't getting their credit. I just made the video to show people how their can use the feature.
It's really cool! I subscribe to MidJourney etc, and always thought it would be cool if it was directly integrated into Adobe products.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back